Instagram made a pretty big move when they released their new feature; Instagram Stories. Essentially they aimed to grab Snapchat’s users and increase the average amount of time spent people spent using their platform. We wrote about this briefly as soon as it launched. You can check it out here!
So, now Instagram Stories has been released; how do you use it?
Here is a step by step guide to show you how to make your first post.
- Open the Instagram app. It may now look slightly different, as you can see in the image below. The most obvious difference, of course, is the top 1/5 of the screen. The three circles you see at the top of the screen are the accounts that you follow/your own story.
2. In the top left corner, you will see a plus button, if you click this you will then be able to start creating your first story!3. This will then open a screen much like Snapchat. You can then either take a picture, just by tapping the photo button once; or you can hold it for a prolonged period to record a video. In this example, I just took a picture of my laptop.4. If you don’t wish to take a picture or recording of something happening now, you can upload content taken, or used within the last 24 hours. Simply swipe down from the top on the previous menu before taking a picture or video, find the media you wish to use, and select. This is going to be very powerful for brands and businesses with images made for promoting their offerings.
5. Once you’ve chosen your image/video or just taken one, you can then go crazy with editing! Much like Snapchat, you can add filters, draw all over it, and throw some emoji’s in there for good measure if you fancy!
6. Tapping on the big tick icon will fire your newly created post out to your followers. It will reside at the top of their home screen (see below).
7. If you wish to see your analytics for your post, simply click on to your story, and then it will load up the number of people who have viewed it. You can then swipe up to open a list of users who have seen it.
I hope this helps! If you have any questions regarding Instagram, or any other Social Media platforms, please get in touch and we will help you as much as we can!